Friday, July 30, 2010

Resources

As I embark on this journey, I am certainly not without resources.  Teachers are creative individuals, but many of the activities I plan are not completely of my own independent design.  Some are, but others are variations of things I've seen other teachers do in the classroom, or from books or the internet. 

I want to share some of the tangible resources that I've found helpful.

I have enjoyed the book "Teaching Young Children Using Themes", which is edited by Marjorie J. Kostelnik.  The book has some fantastic activities with ideas for simplifying and/or extending them, depending on the child(ren) you're working with.  I cited Kostelnik whenever I used one of the activity ideas or concept definitions in my lesson plans.  It is a practical resource that can be appreciated by an academic like myself, as well as accessible for the general population.  I recommended (and lent out) this book to the teacher interns that I worked with in the preschool as well.



Also, for a reference of what kinds of skills children typically have at each age, I love "Developmental Profiles  Pre-birth through Twelve" by Allen & Marotz (2009).  I used this as one of the textbooks in my Developmental Assessment Class.  I use it as a guide and have lent it out to new moms as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment